Updated: Oct 14, 2020
Readings and media discussed in this Episode:
1. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Columbia Pictures, 1939), Directed by Frank Capra; Starring James Stewart, Jean Arthur and Claude Rains.
3. Mike Lofgren “Anatomy of the Deep State”, February 21, 2014, Moyers On Democracy, moyers.com.
4. Mike Lofgren: The Party Is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless, and the Middle Class Got Shafted. Penguin Books, 2013.
5. Mike Lofgren: The Deep State: The Fall of the Constitution and the Rise of a Shadow Government. Penguin Books, 2016.
6. Irving L. Janis: “Groupthink,” Psychology Today, November 1971.
7. Chalmers Johnson: The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic, Metropolitan, 2005.
8. Robert Heinlein: Starship Troopers. Ace, 1959.
9. Isaac Asimov: Prelude to Foundation. Spectra, 1989.
10. Hannah Arendt: “Eichmann in Jerusalem,” The New Yorker, February 9, 1963; Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil, Penguin, 1977.
11. Graham T. Allison: Essence of Decision: Explaining the Cuban Missile Crisis. Harper Collins, 1971. (Out of print). See also Allison’s 1969 essay: “Conceptual Models and the Cuban Missile Crisis,” The American Political Science Review, Volume 63, Issue 3 (Sep., 1969).
12. Todd Gitlin: Media Unlimited (How the torrent of Images and Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives), Picador, 2007.
13. Eric Schlosser: Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal, Houghton Mifflin, 2001.